We are excited to now offer pulmonary rehabilitation through our cardiovascular services department!
What is Pulmonary Rehabilitation? Pulmonary rehabilitation is a service that is designed for those who experience lung problems such as:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Emphysema · Chronic Bronchitis
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Interstitial lung disease
- Lung cancer and lung cancer surgery
- Lung volume reduction surgery before and after lung transplantation
Pulmonary Rehabilitation includes exercise classes and education about your lung disease or condition. PR may help you participate in activities with less shortness of breath, as well as teach you how to “live” better with your lung condition. Additional education includes:
- Reduce and control breathing difficulties and other symptoms.
- Learn more about your disease, treatment options, and chronic disease coping strategies.
- Learn to manage your disease and reduce your dependence on costly medical resources.
- Maintain healthy behaviors such as smoking cessation, good nutrition, and exercise.
Pulmonary Rehabilitation offers educational programs which focus on COPD as well as other chronic lung diseases to provide you with information about:
- Medications, including drug action, side effects, using an inhaler, and self-care techniques
- Understanding and using oxygen therapy
- Diet, nutrition, and weight management
- Breathing retraining · Importance of exercise
- Strategies for managing breathing problems
- Symptom assessment and knowledge about when to seek medical treatment
A physical activity plan is tailored to your needs. Exercise will help improve your endurance and muscle strength, so you’re better able to carry out daily activities.
For more information, contact our cardiovascular services department at 785-364-9680.